Digital Strategy & Product Lead
Helping teams to create, manage and evolve digital products
I’m a experienced Digital Strategy & Product Lead with a wide range of skills acquired within the media, energy, travel, and education sectors.
I’ve been leading digital teams since 2001, helping them to utilise agile working, data and technology to create, launch and maintain successful digital products.
Oct 2015 – Present
Digital Development Manager
Skills Development Scotland
Skills Development Scotland (SDS) is the national skills body supporting the people and businesses of Scotland to develop and apply their skills. I lead the team responsible for the design, development and measurement of multiple products, serving over 2.5 million users per year. Additionally I track our procedures and tools to ensure best practice across our digital operations.
- Leading the development of a new Course Management Tool to administer the launch of the ITA scheme. Allowing training providers to create and manage courses, as well as applying for ITA funding.
- Creation of the Ican offer for primary school pupils in response to the Career Education Standard from the Scottish Government. Utilised by over 17,000 pupils and 2,000 primary school teachers.
- Leading the relaunch and continuous development of My World of Work, which is the SDS flagship online service and has over 600,000 registered users. Overseeing year-on-year increases in pages/session (+19%), session duration (+61%) and reducing bounce rate (-24%)
- Creating and implementing a continuous improvement process and culture, ensuring that design, development, content and insight teams work together to provide a 1st rate digital experience for our users.
- Providing digital expertise to multiple areas of the organisation, including marketing, reporting, strategy, user experience, design and development.
Mar 2015 – Aug 2015
Skyscanner is a global travel search engine, allowing users to compare flights, hotels and car hire. As a Product Manager I led a team developing features for 3 products: The ‘everywhere’ search; flexible dates and the flights map.
- Improved mobile conversion rate through Agile A/B testing of numerous UI improvements
- Creation and launch of a new flights map, resulting in an increase in booking conversions by 73%
Jan 2013 – Mar 2015
Content and User Experience Manager
Scottish Power supplies energy to over 5 million customers in the UK. As the Content & User Experience Manager I managed all user experience development including research, user journey definition, wireframe creation and design across the website and mobile apps.
- Reduced website bounce rate by 52% through the creation of new site structure and user focused content. This was based on full review of the existing website, utilising user research (interviews, focus groups, card sorting exercises) and analytics
- Increased online sales conversions by 150% through the delivery of A/B user tests. I led the mapping of the user journey, created wireframes for each of the tests, and oversaw the design and development of the new sales process
- Provided UX and design oversight for the new iOS and Android apps, ensuring that the final product matched the user and business requirements
Jul 2011 – Dec 2012
Digital Product Manager
STV is Scotland’s leading media organisation. As a Digital Product Manager I was responsible for the end to end development of key digital products – News, Sport and Entertainment – and introducing a cutting edge responsive website.
- Creation of a new responsive website structure and custom CMS for all of STV’s digital products. I undertook the business requirements gathering, and worked with the technical leads to produce detailed project specifications and project plans
- Managed the development team day to day through the creation of new responsive templates and a modular framework, acting as the Product Owner and functioning as the liaison between the development team and the STV management team
Dec 2007 – Jul 2011
Web Producer for s1, one of Scotland’s most successful internet companies. Primarily focused on leading the development of s1homes.com and s1cars.com.
- Led the development of the innovative s1cars cashback concept. Leading to 102% increase in monthly site traffic
- 1st independent UK property portal to integrate Google Street View
Jun 2006 – Dec 2007
Senior Consultant for a business change consultancy. Undertaking project management roles that required a high level of integration with client’s staff and systems.
Mar 2005 – Mar 2006
Travelling and working in a variety of sales and marketing roles throughout Australia and New Zealand. Gaining experience in different countries and cultures.
Apr 2001 – Feb 2005
Consultant for market-leading global consultancy. Gaining a variety of digital experience through diverse technical roles with global organisations such as AOL, Microsoft, and British Telecom.
- Develop a long-term vision and objectives, focusing on what is important and most relevant
- Wide knowledge of industry best practice, advances in technology, and able to create the environment for success
- Understanding of the digital marketplace, able to integrate with wider services to produce complex systems
- Build business cases based on user needs and implement across an organisation
- Influence, challenge and coach others to achieve operational excellence
- Coach and lead teams in Agile practices, thinking of innovative ways of working to achieve the right outcomes
- Able to anticipate and solve problems, building problem-solving capabilities in others
- Direct which tools and methods to use, meeting the needs of users across multiple channels
- Provide insight and expertise on how user needs have changed ensuring these are met
- Apply strategic thinking to provide the best service for the end user
- Highly experienced in digital product design and development
- Significant experience in analytical tools, including Google Analytics, Tag Manager, Mixpanel, and Hotjar
- Knowledge of multiple CMS – Drupal, Alterian, WordPress and Umbraco
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- First-rate problem solving skills
- Strong team working, relationship building and customer interaction skills
- Experience working with distributed teams across wide geographical areas
- Excellent attention to detail and analytical skills
University of Strathclyde
1996 – 2000
Upper Second Class Honours (2:1) in Management Science